Incoming First-Year Students
The University Honors Program (UHP) is a rigorous academic program founded in the Jesuit liberal arts tradition. Although most students have a 3.8 or higher GPA, we know that there is a lot more to being an outstanding student than test scores and grades. We look for students who have not just done well academically, but who have demonstrated a commitment to their school, their community, their activities and organizations, or their family. We want students who are motivated not just to do well themselves, but to make the world a better place, and to creating the community of relationships at the heart of honors.
Qualified Transfer Students
Applications to the University Honors Program will also be accepted from qualified transfer students to Loyola University. Requirements include a 3.5 cumulative GPA from your previous college or university. Transfer students should keep in mind that full completion of the UHP requires at least 21 semester hours of Honors courses. Interested transfer students should contact the Honors Director to discuss how entering the University Honors Program will affect their degree program, based on eligible transfer credits.
Currently Enrolled Students
Students at Loyola University New Orleans who achieve academic excellence in their first year may apply to enter the Honors Program. A Loyola University GPA of 3.5 is required for consideration, as well as a writing sample and a faculty recommendation. Please contact the Honors Director or Coordinator of Student Services if you are interested in applying to the program and to discuss how entering the University Honors Program will affect your degree program. Because of the number of Honors credits required for successful program completion, it is recommended that the transfer occur by spring of sophomore year.
Please note that the application process below is for currently enrolled students only. If you are not part of this group, apply through the Office of Admissions by following the links below. The deadline to apply for admission Fall 2022 is March 24, 2022.
- Incoming First Year Student
- Open to all admitted students of all majors with a GPA of 3.75 of higher
- December 1st application deadline
- Students who meet the minimum GPA requirement are invited to apply to the Honors Program. The application can be found in your admissions portal once you have submitted your admissions application.
- Students must have a completed admissions application by the December 1st deadline in addition to having submitted the Honors Program application.
- Students must maintain a GPA of 3.3 while a student at Loyola
- For more information about the Honors program and the application please contact your specific admissions counselor.
- Transfer Students
- Must have a GPA of 3.3 or higher from their current institution.
- Students must maintain a GPA of 3.3 while a student at Loyola.
- Students that have been admitted into the university and meet the above requirement will be invited to apply to the Honors Program. The application can be found in your admissions portal.
- For more information about the Honors Program, please contact Jamie Blanch at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Currently Enrolled Students
- Must have a GPA of 3.3 or higher to be considered for the honors program at Loyola.
- Please contact Dr. Jonathan Peterson at email@example.com if you wish to apply to the Honors program as a current student of Loyola.