Skip to main content
Loyola University New Orleans Periodic Decanal Evaluations by Faculty and Staff
- The Provost and Vice President of Academic Affairs conduct periodic evaluations of deans by their respective faculties and staffs.
- Ordinarily the initial evaluation of a dean by his/her faculty and staff is conducted in the spring semester of a dean’s first year in the position; and during every three academic years thereafter. Additional evaluations may be conducted at the discretion of the provost in consultation with a dean.
- Timing of the triennial review (fall or spring semester) will be determined by the provost.
- Evaluation questions and format are the same for all deans. The evaluation questions, which were developed with input from deans, faculty, and staff, are reviewed by each dean and the Provost and Vice President of Academic Affairs prior to commencing an evaluation.
- The evaluation instrument consists of several components: an introduction from the provost, a summary of accomplishments prepared by the dean including a self-evaluation and a survey of closed- and open-ended questions. A Likert scale is used for the closed-ended questions.
- Generally, all full-time faculty and staff are invited to evaluate their dean. The Provost’s Office obtains names and email addresses from Human Resources and the Dean reviews to ensure the list is current. Names can be removed from a list only with the approval of the Provost and Vice President of Academic Affairs.
- Evaluations are conducted via a web-based system and sent to faculty and staff evaluators by email. Responses are anonymous and access to the administrative response tracking system is limited and strictly controlled. The system assigns a tracking number to each email address and controls for one completed survey per email address. Evaluators have approximately two weeks to complete the evaluation.
- Access to evaluative responses is limited to the Provost and Vice President of Academic Affairs and the Executive Assistant to the Provost.
- The dean receives a summary report of the closed-ended questions (Likert scale responses) and open-ended questions (comments). Comments are summarized and edited to reflect the main themes.
- The Provost and Vice President for Academic Affairs meets with the dean to discuss the evaluation results and agree on a plan of action as needed. Evaluation results are provided to faculty and staff at the dean’s discretion.